Sunday, May 2, 2010

Singing in the rain....

I am sitting out on the balcony in the dark listening to the birds and insect ....praying that I dont get eaten alive (it is MUCH cooler out here than my room packed full of 6 hot woman). While sitting here I can still hear the girls sing christmas carols--- you read correctly- CHRISTMAS CAROLS! it all started when the clouds began to roll in - it began to pour! literally dumped water, the neat thing was that we could see the clouds come in and touch them as they blew by the balcony up here in the toddler house (we are that high up in the mountains). Boredom and silliness kicked in and we struck up the karaoke machine we found tucked away in the living room- we have been going at it for HOURS and I finally called 'er quits when all we had left was the christmas songs (Joyce has taken video sneakingly so I fear she may haunt us with it).

Today was an amazing day! We had a slow morning- I had a chance to skype with a good friend in Scotland who I miss SO MUCH and then we headed up to church this morning which is held at Yvonne and Joel Trimbles beautiful house just slightly up the mountain, we had Haitian pastery for breakfast and chatted before the service. Surronded by all these people singing I was touched, there are just such amazing people working here day in and day out and it is my pleasure to have even met them, let along work alongside them for my short stay here. I am inspired daily and continue to grow and learn through them.

After church we headed to the main house, Hope, Robin and I headed up to the nursery for a bit before lunch, the kids were wild this morning- picking on each other, fighting for a piece of our lap it is amazing how we are growing to learn each childs personality! MR. JR was screaming in his crib so I picked him out and he snuggled up as usual, well he decided that he was going to get cheeky and bit my shoulder " I put him down and said NON JR!" and he looked and me and laughed- serves me right for not putting my foot down yet lol!
During lunch I had the pleasure of sitting beside Miss. Vickie- she is an incredibly nurse who is working 24/7 with two of the little guys that came in incredibly malnutrished (1 year old and less than 5 pounds!!!) so she had the two sitting at the table with us- they are awesome little guys and I am completely IN LOVE.

I had told the other volunteers about my waterfall hike last summer and they all wanted to go- a couple are leaving this week so this was their last free afternoon to go- well I had only gone once and I didnt think I paid much attention of how to get there---> so we decided to head out anyway and luck has it I found the way! The walk was goregous down to the base of the mountain, we walked across the empty river bed and up to the crevice of the mountain ridge. Climbing over ginormous rocks and walking through the trickling water finally came to the base of the waterfall- it is a sight to see, it is beautiful. I remembered climbing up the side of the wall to get to the top of the waterfall and sliding down so of course I wanted to try again, I had reached the top before the other girls made it up and then no one else would try the climb - it is a straight wall up with only a couple juds out so climbing is a little tricky but WELL WORTH IT,so i slid down by my lonesome and we headed back down.
the climb back up was STEEP and because Hope and I forgot water we were not in good shape by the time we reached the main house.
Back at the toddler house we played a couple more rounds of monopoly cards (SOOO addictive) and watched the storm come in- although I am sure the rain is coveted by the surronding farmers and by us (get rid of some of that humidity) I couldnt help but think of the thousands of people in tent cities tonight- please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
I am tuckered out from the karaoke tonight- heading to bed!
Hope you all had an awesome wknd- missing you all!
Hope and I are missing the Rayjon Youth Committee tonight as you met without us- I look forward to hearing all about it and getting back into the swing of things when I return- keep up the good work guys!
More tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment