Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rats are not our friends!

It is amazing how much one can grow in this environment- I swear that I have learned more during my volunteer endeavours than I ever had in a classroom or lecture hall.
Today was no exception- I spent the morning with my babes- it was nice to finally get in some baby loving and have my babies all to myself. They were all super busy crawling around everywhere and into everything.
This afternoon we took on the challenge of organizing the balcony and the supplies, toys and donations stored there. This turned into a much harder task than expected- we pulled down a couple of cardboard boxes filled with toys and stuffed animals, as I was riffling through I turned over a stuffed animal to find a shriveled up dead rat and its nest! The smell was disgusting we all jumped back and screamed like little girls, i whipped on the gloves and we had to throw everything in that box out! We had our shirts pulled over our nose and mouth and picked up with the items with as few fingers as possible. The rest of the sorting wasnt so bad, but we did find alot of `stuff`that had molded or begun to stink from being stored so long and forgotten about so it was worth it to sort through. As we were getting ready to pack up for the day I moved along a box of stuffed animals that had not yet been sorted, Sheila began sorting and out of the corner of my eye I seen something pop up and heard Sheilda scream bloody murder as a rat ran across the balcony. We had all had enough for one day! Haitian rats are big and fat and disgusting! Hopefully sorting tomorrow goes more smoothly than it did today.
Already exhausted we were told that all staff and volunteers were headed up to Fort Jacque for a cook out to celebrate Dixie and John`s son Steeve`s 15th birthday. It was an interesting trek up- picture a normal SUV with one person per seat so approx. 5 people- then add about 8 more! Honestly us N.Americans waste so much space in those cars hahhahah! I sat with Melanie in the back back crushed beside a cooler, a bowl of fruit, 6 bags of chips and a tray of cupcakes, our legs intertwined and our butts numb by the end of the trek up. It has just become so normal to travel like this I am going to feel so odd when I get home and drive alone!!
The cook out was fun, we roasted hotdogs with all the unhealthy sidekicks of pop, chips and bean salad. We sat around on big logs around the fire and chit chatted- it was nice.
Now exhausted back at the toddler house I am ready for BED! Hope everyone had an awesome day.
It is one of my little guys birthday tomorrow the big `1` so hopefully we can do something special.
All the best, more tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment