Saturday, May 29, 2010

Life goes on in Haiti…..

Hey all! So I have written very short blogs the last couples day, I guess it is about time for an update post. This week was a jumble of happenings, on Monday we lost one volunteer and on Tuesday another and by Thursday it was just down to me here at the one house. Melissa is a permanent staff here so we have been having some relaxing evenings and passing the time just fine. Tuesday and Wednesday I went up to Fort Jacque (the site of the new orphanage) and helped with the last little bit of sorting and organizing of the aid materials that came in my first couples days here. Word is that there are 6 containers waiting at the Haitian customs that are PACKED with aid supplies and have yet to be released to us. There are 6 more on their way from the USA and Canada. These containers carry clothes, food, medical supplies, toys, diapers, baby supplies and other orphanage needs. What isn't needed here at GLA is sorted and distributed to surrounding communities that have yet to receive any aid since the quake. We are eagerly waiting for these 6 containers to be released so that we may start up our string of distributions again as MANY communities are waiting.

Although it is nice to have a break from the balcony for a couple days I really missed my babies, I would walk in at the end of the day either before or after dinner and they would be beaming from ear to ear eagerly awaiting a kiss and a squeeze. I think they were grateful that I was back to normal routine by Thursday and Friday. As I wrote earlier this week they are all making such awesome progress, I am bonding with each and everyone of them on a level that I never expected. JR was not feeling well this week, we developed a routine of a morning nap and snuggle time and we would awake with a little more energy but still not up to his normal behaviour. Friday afternoon we were treated to a lunch at the Mission just up the mountain, just us girls went (the permanent girls and me) as this is ALL that is left here until Monday. It was a rainy day and while we stood on the balcony where we eat we watched the clouds roll into the balcony and we were literally sitting in the clouds. Although I have seen this before up here considering the altitude it does not lose its appeal- it is such an amazing feeling. I have to learn to keep my camera on me more so that I could capture this experience- next time hopefully. Yesterday was the first day I wore my sweatshirt in Haiti, and I was legitimately chilled!

Amanda came up with Melissa and I last night and we had a sleep over, watched a movie and chatted until the wee hours of the morning. It felt so “normal” it was nice :)

This morning we made French Toast and Bacon == YUM! and then headed down to the main house. We caught a ride up with the boys and had lunch out AGAIN at the mission- We were spoiled! And if you have ever been here before you know that you can not go to the Mission without getting ice cream (it is the closest you get to diary around here) so my stomach is not liking me very much tonight as I am lactose intolerant and have been really pushing it the last couple days haha.

We had an afternoon of board games and card games, we laughed until our stomach hurt and some of us sustained injuries from a game of Spoons gone TOO far. BUT all in all it has been an awesome week. Tomorrow should be another relaxing day.

I am thinking about everyone at home today and missing you all SO much.

All the best! More soon…..

1 comment:

  1. Helen - email eyssavel.helen@ neuf.fr ( without space after @ )May 30, 2010 at 1:23 AM

    Hi Brittnei,

    Just found your blog via Facebook.
    I was so excited to find some news about "little J", even if they are not so good ( Is he better now ? ) because I am his mommy. I am writing to you from France right now.
    Take good care of all these kids, they are just as you say, amazing. It is so special to be able to be with them :-).
    If you are ok, I will forward the address of your blog to my fellow adoptive parents in GLA here.

    Take care and enjoy your stay :-)

    Helen

    PS : needless to say, if you can squeeze in a big hug and kisses to my little guy ... and say him that Mommy is thinking of him every minute of every day ...

    ReplyDelete