Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mr. Cheap

It was a "fun" saturday which means that we did not have to do any physical labour, we were not set to head to the balcony with the babes instead we started off slowly, slept in until 8 (I didnt even hear the saturday morning pig slaughtering)! We cleaned up the toddler house and then headed up to the baptist mission for some shopping and lunch. Hope and I got stuck in the back of the truck on top of two big tupperware containers so we laid on our back with our legs on the window sill (quite a site to be seen us crazy white girls). I have been up to the baptist mission before, but I had never been to the "lookout" it was AMAZING, you walk down the side of the mountain a bit to a platform and can see all of Port Au Prince, the tent cities, the stadium and the coastline, we even saw the Mercy hospital ship out in the water- although a little hazy considering it hasnt rained in a bit- it was breathtaking.
Shopping along the roadside is always interesting, something that used to terrify me now amuses me everyone is "mr. cheap"- I picked up a couple souvenirs for some friends and family but nothing for myself if you have ever seen my bedroom/ apartment you know I have a TON of paintings!
if anyone has special requests let me know ;)
One painting that took my breath away was a depiction of the earthquake- someone had painted the crack in the earth, the building collapsed and people running around with blood spewing--> although devastating it was interesting to see their interpretation.
Lunch was awesome- its very American style food at the mission- deep fried variety and pizza/ sandwiches and ice cream ( I usually crave the ice cream but I had to restrain myself bc I forgot my lactait pills- I can just see Jody rolling her eyes now lol).
After we got back this afternoon Hope and I decided to head back up to the toddler house to have a relaxing afetrnoon, we have been go go go all week and it was nice to see on the balcony amoungst the mountains read and chat. Shelley introduced us to the monopoly card game its soooo fun and addicting!
We walked down to dinner - it was pizza YUM, got in some baby loving time and the I suggested we make the walk back up to save Molly and Joyce the drive down to get us... well the walk down is ALL downhill ( and steep) I wish I could videotape it so give you an idea of this walk.,.. well the walk up being all up hill was quite interesting!!!! Hard work but super rewarding at the end! lets just say that cold shower was quite inviting tonight!
Well the girls are calling me for another round of monopoly cards so I shall go!
More tomorrow... missing you all!

2 comments:

  1. I love you Brittnei, miss you more and as always very very proud! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. of you that is. Part II of I
    xox

    ReplyDelete