Monday, January 10, 2011

Remembering

Here we are, a mere 24 hours until the 1 year anniversary of the Haiti earthquake. Although I wasn’t in Haiti on the day of that tragic event, I feel as though my world shook along with them.

As we inch closer and closer I remember, I remember the heartbreak I experienced watching the news casts and reading any and ALL updates I could receive from my shocked and broken friends in Haiti.

I remember moving through the motions of a new semester, wading through crowds, appearing in class while my mind and heart were somewhere completely different.

First instinct was to get there, drop everything and be there. I remember the sleepless nights, the  tears shed and the heavy heart when I didn’t get on that plane.

I remember starting this blog, as an outlet…. to share my heart for Haiti with anyone and everyone who will listen.

and I remember the first glances. tent cities, crumbled walls, broken lives.

1 year later, little progress has been made, but the resilient and hopeful Haitians have made it through due to their hard work, collaboration and what little help they received from the international community.

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers over the next couple days, my memories and my heartache are NOTHING compared to the memories that haunt them everyday- lives lost, livelihoods destroyed and communities uprooted.

Join me in fasting THIS Wednesday. January 12, 2011. Remembering, praying, fasting in solidarity with our Haitian neighbours.

A good friend of mine, with a GINORMOUS heart for Haiti has shared this video with al of us. The song is incredible and the photos speak volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment