Tuesday, June 1, 2010

When it rains it pours!

Today after a pretty slow week and weekend we had some new volunteers arrive. They are toured around the main house and then assigned their children, just as they were ready to join me on the balcony it started to rain again (it had rained all morning) and the balcony began to flood. I quickly scrambled to pick up all the mats and  blankets and toys and I went with the group down to the nursery. I often enjoy sitting on the floor of the nursery, being bombarded by the kiddies- but this time they were subdued- NEW FACES. It was interesting to see their reaction, many are not quick to jump into their arms and if they allow them to pick them up their giggles and grins disappear if only for a little while. These kids have been shuffled and moved and I don't think they are to eager to let anyone into their fragile little hearts. However I am honoured that they have shown such a love and bond with me over my extended stay.

As the volunteers got acquainted with their kids I sat with one of the nurses, she speaks a little bit of English and she is just the sweetest lady. She asked about my family and where they were missing me at home- she asked if they would be greeting me at the airport , she then asked a bit about my childhood and told me to send her love to my family. She explained how she grew up in an orphanage that is just about 5 minutes from here and how she returned to Port where she was born to go to school. At the end of our conversation she thanked me for sitting and talking to her- I was just as good as a puddle on the floor- how came someone be so humble and sweet?

I ventured over the group and the babes and I was quickly bombarded with questions- what is his/her name? is this normal? how old? what is their story? I found myself thrilled to share my knowledge of these children, I really have grown to know them very well and care about them so deeply. Although I have bonded especially with my 4, I have a heart for all of the children in the nursery and their hugs and giggles are something I will miss SO much when I return home. Nothing beats a pile of babies fighting to give you kisses and squeezes!

By the way E took 4 more steps today :) We are making progress!

May 28 006 Sweet W playing peek a boo!

Rainy Monday 001

E is sitting in the swing while I scramble to pick up the toys as it downpours!

Rainy Monday 029

Just too sweet for words Miss W!

Rainy Monday 032 Ti Jerry having a solo pool party!

Rainy Monday 035

When it rains… pours!

More soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment