Friday, June 4, 2010

On the road again….

It has been a busy week!

Wednesday was an exciting day, Dave, Melissa and myself took 8 children to a doctors appointment that is routine for processing new adoption proposals, but it was also a nice way to get out and have a change of scenery. I didn't take my camera; however I sat with a baby on my lap one leaning against me and the rest packed on knees or surrounding seats. Neurotic N. American mothers would have a hay day with our driving situation, we held on tight to those babes while James navigated the hilly mountain road down to Peitionville. Driving into downtown is always sobering, collapsed buildings and segregated tent cities and continued devastation. There are men demolishing on every street corner and piles of debris stacked alongside roadways. This is not the Haiti I once knew, although my love for this country stands strong, it hurts to see its people suffering still 4 months following a 20 sec catastrophe.

Returning home that afternoon we were ALL exhausted but I still managed to get in some quality time with all my babes.

Thursday was a day of organizing and cleaning, my OCD was satisfied with the amount we accomplished. We reorganized the layout of the balcony so that we could utilize more activity space with the kids, and selfishly so that we could have something different to look at after spending so many days up there!

Today started off with our weekly volunteer breakfast at the guest house, I always look forward to these mornings its a nice time to relax, reflect and enjoy each others company without babies crawling/crying etc. Dave, Melissa and I then headed down again for another road of appointments, this time with another set of 7 kids. Again we were exhausted returning home this afternoon and to be honest I dragged my butt the rest of the day, begging my kiddies to be snugly!

I have fallen into a comfort zone here, I am thankful for our always humorous dinner conversations, our “feelings” talk as one volunteer begrudgingly refers to it (they will remain unnamed' ;), and our time of solidarity. I am surrounded by some amazingly caring and warm people and I am SO thankful on days like today!

More soon …..

No comments:

Post a Comment