Thursday, January 14, 2010

My heart is in Haiti

Thousands Displaced... many bound by Solidarity!
Many lives lost....we are thankful for those spared
(photos compliments of Laurie Bickel)

Days after a horrendous earthquake shook Haiti, I am hurting for my beloved country.... I am wanting more than ever to be there... to hold those babies, to hug the staff and volunteers at GLA and to lend a hand in regrouping and moving up and on! But I am confident that these strong, resilient people will pull through. I have been glued to my computer, searching news, facebook updates and emails from friends in Haiti and those also intimately connected. The news at GLA is good... miraculously no one was hurt almost 200 babies and children and not one major injury, no staff or volunteers were harmed but many have lost family members and homes.

The situation in PauP is horrendous, thousands of lives lost, thousands more injured, buildings, homes and livelihoods DESTROYED. I have been plagued with many many "WHY's" ... why has this vulnerable country been kicked again when they have yet to recover from the hurricanes last year? why them and not us? why why why?
Aid is needed and I am praying, hoping, waiting for teams to reach Haiti and start what is going to be a long, hard road of re-development. GLA staff and volunteers are calling for political lobbying for children who are struck in the long process of adoption... to be freed on humanitarian visa to their forever homes to make way for the many more orphans that will likely show up at the gates of GLA and every orphanage within Haiti.
I have also received updates from Rayjon's development project, the affects were felt in St. Marc and surrounding areas, it sounds like staff were scrambling to locate family members but I have yet to hear of the actual damage within the development projects. St. Joe's home for boys in Port au Prince was affected and some major injuries have ensued but again no real reports as of yet.

Please please please keep these Haitians in your thoughts and prayers. If you are able to make a donation please contact me and I can direct you to numerous NEEDS!










No comments:

Post a Comment