Sunday, January 17, 2010

CHANGE FOR HAITI!

Last time I made the long drive to Sarnia and found comfort in the hugs and conversations of my fellow "Haiti lovers". The Rayjon Youth Committee hosted a amazingly successful fundraiser band night and raised an estimated $3000 for Rayjon's Development Project in response to the earthquake. It was an incredible night and I always feel at peace when I am with my Rayjon friends. I was able to find out more information on the earthquakes effects on Rayjons Projects, no staff have been harmed (another miracle) BUT many have lost famiy members and homes. St. Jospeh's Home for Boys which is always a stop on Rayjons Awareness Trips in Port Au Prince has collapsed, all were evacuated only one critically harmed (still waiting on an update from him). St. Marc expects to be flooded with those fleeing Port Au Prince and we are in constant communication with our Haitian director regarding the "needs"!
Nevertheless I still am experiencing that pit in my stomach.. knowing I should be there.... I FINALLY heard from my parents who are on vacation and it being a little too late did recieve the go ahead to go to Haiti. Unfortunately I have lost my spot but I must force myself to appreciate that there is a full plane on route to Haiti in relief on Monday or Tuesday.. this is good!
GLA (the orphanage) is alright, reading my friends blog I heard they were hit with a pretty intense aftershock yesterday which is very frustrating, again no one was hurt but everyone is shaken up yet again. They are experiencing stress regarding supplies such as food, water and propane considering most had been brought in from Port au Prince. I am holding on to every little update I recieve from my friends there and I will continue to update!
I am also very thankful for the friends, family and even strangers who have contacted me to express thier concern and support. It is very difficult to be here right now when my heart is there but the support here makes it that much easier. So I thank you.
If you are interested in making a donation I will be collecting monetary donations to send to GLA and items to take with me in April when I go for 2 months.

Keep continue to keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment