Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A funeral and a party

Meet Raina- (on the left) She is a social worker and serves as a community mobilizer

DR March 2011 293

On Saturday March 19th we arrived in Comadero ABajo- a barrio that Raina supports.

We walked up the long dusty road towards what looked like a community centre, a sullen faced woman comes out to welcome us. In Spanish she approached Frances (our translator), explaining that Raina had died the night before and thus the group must be quiet. Before Frances could explain what he was told he turned to Jorge and told him the news- he was distraught.

He told us to be quiet and to follow Maria.

She led us towards the community centre and as the doors opened we were bombarded with tiny red flowers serving as confetti and the sounds of a mariachi band playing in the far back.

Raina didn’t die, it was all a practical joke. Instead they surprised us with a party- complete with pop, lollipops, and dancing.

DR March 2011 291

The children presented us with flowered head bands and we exchanged candy. Soon the floor was crowded with our awkward attempt at Latin inspired dancing.

DR March 2011 302

DR March 2011 310

DR March 2011 314

Through all the commotion I noticed a little girl sitting in a miniature chair with a sulk and a dazed look on her face. I wandered over to her side of the room and introduced myself, she is about 4 years ago and looked up at me half scared, half intrigued.

I scooped her up and sat her on my lap- using my very broken Spanish to introduce myself. Her name was Anabel.

She slumped against me and seemed content to just sit with me and watch the party unfold.

We were soon ushered outside, the kids were eager to show us their community- especially their baseball diamond.

As Anabel and myself made our way outside the door, this bright eyed chatty girl came up beside me and yanked Anabel out of my arms. I looked at her confused, she chipperly told me that Anabel was her sister and HER name was Estelle.

From that moment on they were BOTH stuck to me like glue. Estelle rambled on- even though I told her I couldn’t understand, and Anabel giggled.

[Photo: Left Estelle and Right Anabel]DR March 2011 327

We skipped – yes skipped- I haven’t done that in YEARS, Celine helped translate what Estelle was eager to share and we just enjoyed each other’s company.

DR March 2011 332DR March 2011 335

DR March 2011 341

DR March 2011 348

Estelle ushered me over to the family for an introduction and I humbly introduced myself- honoured to have met them. This was the first meaning interaction I had on the trip, those girls quickly found a place in my heart and I was so sad to say goodbye.

After a couple of hugs and kisses blown I boarded the bus with a sulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment