Monday, March 26, 2012

The Happiness Project

It is early evening and I am sitting outside enjoying the warm breeze, it is spring here in Udaipur but the heat is rising by the day. I have just put down my e-reader having started my newest book  “The Happiness Project”just an hour ago and for the first time in 3 weeks I am inspired to write a blog.

3 weeks ago I landed here in India, starting my journey “back” with a week stay in Delhi. The past three weeks we have had 6 groups of young people travel for the first time to India on our service learning trips.

As a product of such a trip I find so much of my passion reflected in their experience, I have talked in the past about how excited I get to witness their “ ah ha” moment. I love watching these young people make connections with communities members who have never before been looked in the eye by a person of a higher status. Every time I lead a trip I learn something new- but the more I do it the more I take these experiences for granted.

But just last week I had the opportunity to host a group of donors who travelled to our Free the Children projects here in India to see the fruition of their hefty donation.

This particular donor was very passionate about girls education and women empowerment, part of their two day visit was a meeting with the first women’s group in our community called Lai. These women have come together in a 2 year long process of empowerment, self sufficiency and alternative income generating.

I had learnt about their project and had memorized the messaging but as I walked down the hill with the donors in tow I was especially moved, ALL the women had gathered ready to welcome our small group with rose lays and red bindi’s. In introductions the women were told that I would be joining the local team for an extended period and they erupted in giggles and smiles. They excitingly gathered around, all talking at once in Hindi, showering me with smiles and grabbing my hands. Although my words will not do the experience justice it was yet another “ah ha” moment for me. 

In minutes the excitement bubbled over into a mini celebration….I was soon holding a precious little baby about 2 months old, dancing with the women to the drumming and laughing as they all welcomed me with tips of advice. The most memorable was that “I MUST learn how to make roti”!

It was almost as if I had a out of body experience, but while this was all going on I vowed never to take for granted my time here.

Yes the culture is challenging, I don't care much for the food, I crave salad and sushi on a regular basis, I miss my family, my puppies and my best friends….

I am here for a reason and the journey has just begun. 

I am taking on my own little Happiness Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment