Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Something you love…

I know officially have 3 We Day’s under my belt. And after each one I cant help but ask myself “WHY”

My whole body hurts (especially my feet), I’m exhausted, drained, I miss my friends and family after days upon days of work, I feel disconnected… and the list goes on… and for what?

Well it is for….

that five minutes when I get to step into the bowl when Romeo Dallaire is on stage asking the young people if they are any better than the children fighting in wars – and listen as thousands of them

scream NO!

Working away and feeling the energy shift when Michel (an ex child solider) step on stage and delivers a silent speech using cue cards. Asking everyone to take the Vow of Silence, to stand in solidarity for those who are silenced by poverty, disease, and exploitation. You could hear a pin drop.

I am bombarded by those thousands of young people  later when they flood the concourses wearing We Day swag- inspired, empowered and excited to change the world. Passing out high fives like they are going out of style.

Yes it is a lot of work… but I get the privilege to be a part of something that is SO big, SO important- who cares if my feet hurt a little. I LOVE MY JOB.

You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you. - Maya Angelou

We have one more We Day of the year, heading off to Winnipeg for the first EVER We Day in the ‘peg! I have no doubt it will blow all of our socks off!

Then off to Hong Kong to deliver a keynote address at a Service Summit, and then jet setting to India to lead another youth volunteer trip.

Again… I love my job! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment