Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I am BACK :)

Hello all! this is my third attempt at blogging so I may leave out details I tried to include out of mere frustration.
Yesterday was a long day of travelling, full of delays but landing in Haiti was exactly how I wanted to end that day. Attempting to prepare myself for the changes I might see--> the first was the lack of clapping when we landed, Haitians usually clap, and they did not this time- this saddened me I really hope it is not a reflection of their broken spirit.
Many changes were present at the airport, we no longer walk of the plane with steps onto the tarmack, instead we walked off into a terminal and were herded through a hallway and down stairs until we reached a set of doors which were once the entrance into immigration. Throughout we could see the stress fractures and structural damage resulting from the quake and aftershocks. We walked out of those entrance doors onto busses that ushered us to the other side of the airport, through immigration (I swear he wasnt even looking at the forms) and into the luggage area. Many warned me this would be the biggest hassle as the conveayer wasnt working- thank goodness it was working!!! I have become much more confident in this hectic setting and I bussled around collecting our many bags. We walked out different doors through a different umbrealla area to our awaiting truck. 4 years ago this scene would have made me very umcomfortable- but this time I handled it like a pro! We were laughing throughout and packed the bags in the truck screaming "alle alle"! The drive up was LONG but we were silent, me especially as I took in the new scene! Hundreds of tent cities, buildings collapsed and debris everywhere- but the hussle and bussle were still the same and I was more than estatic to be back in HAITI.

We arrived at GLA approximately 2 hours late, walking into the end of dinner time. Hugs all around, I quickly fell into the routine and was excited to show Hope around!
We ate dinner and headed up to the Toddler House where we are sleeping, the volunteer quarters are FULL atleast until the end of the week, Hope and I got the top bunks, which arent too bad bc we get the windows.
Awesome sleep and a beautiful wake up to the mountains and the babies conversing.

TODAY!
I successful guided Hope, myself and the other new volunteer Shelley down to the Baby House! I REMEMBERED! Once at GLA I was assigned my 4 babies (last year I had 8 but because they have less children now I have 4 so I have them each for 2 hours a day), Hope has not been assigned children yet, because she has a shorter stay so she may be assigned at the end of the week or she may just work with whoever is available.
My four babies are beautiful- but of course they are they are Haitian ;)
One is baby B many may know him from Dixie's blog but he is not even 2 months old. I am his first volunteer and there to snuggle and love him up!
My second babe is W, she is a beaut!!!!! She is very very tiny but turning 1 next month, the first time I had her up today she fell asleep the second time she was a bundle of energy and we played all around the balcony.
My third little guy is Mr. JR he is GORGEOUS and a huge snuggle bug! I fell in love with him within second- we are going to have an awesome 2 months together.
My 4 buddy is E, we went on a long walk today but I havent had a chance to actually play one on one with him- so more details to come.
I was exhausted by the end of the day, but we ate dinner quickly and headed up to the new property in Fort Jacque where the new orphanage is being built to unload 4 transport trucks full of emergency supplies that were just released from the dock in port. Lots of volunteers and some GLA staff formed a LONG assembly line receiving new cribs, babie supplies, LOTS of diapers, medical supplies, clothes, shoes, tents and other necessities. 4 hours later we have returned COVERED in dirt, split lotion and soap and exhausted. I just finished my first cold shower of my stay and I welcomed every second of it. But for now it is super late and I am super exhausted. I will write more soon.
Thanks to all who are rooting for me back home. Miss you all and love you lots!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy I found your link on facebook! I look forward to reading your blog and hearing about your stay at GLA. So excited that you were able to return!!!!!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete