Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Sunday Stroll

My Sunday consisted of wandering around the city, anxious for new scenery, aimlessly meandering down busying streets and side alleys.

For the most part I have no problem walking the streets, I know to yield to the left when I hear a honk, I know to look where I step to avoid piles of cow dung and I know how to get to point B from point A without looking lost.

But the obvious yet ‘normal’ issues that await around every corner will never become familiar for me. Familiarity breads comfort- nothing about this is comfortable.

Not 5 minutes into my walk I am chased after by a couple kids, no older than  8 or 9 who have the look in their eyes that they have seen more hardship than I could ever imagine.  They couldn’t help but see hope in my blond hair and white skin. “10 rupees?”

Another couple minutes down the road I am coming up on a little guy and his sister trying their hardest to herd half a dozen donkeys loaded down with concrete rubble. The little guy unloaded each one, smacks them on their rear ends. hops onto the slowest donkey and yells for them to get going. Isn’t Sunday suppose to be a day of rest?

IMG00118-20120603-1525

I swerve to avoid the meandering cows, listen for the motorbikes whisking by and nod my head as each of them shares a greeting. I have my Ipod in, a young guy comes up beside me- maybe 12 or 13. After attempts to squeeze me out of a few rupees fails him, he asks to listen to my music. Even though he couldn’t understand the words- I was still a little embarrassed I was bobbing out to Robin. He listens for a couple minutes gives it back to me- no doubt uninterested in 90’s pop music  he smiles up at me and we part ways at the next fork.

‘Hello’s, ‘Where are you from’s’, ‘How are you’s’, ‘What's your name’s ‘are in abundance. I have never been revered as so interesting in my life. After weeks of entertaining each and every greeting and questions  I feel like a broken record.  If only I could send out a PSA to all of Udaipur-

[“HELLO! I am from Canada, I am not a tourist, I am good and my name is Brittnei.”]

Who am I kidding- I am not THAT interesting. But seriously…there is no blending in for this girl, is it the blond hair? the lack of Hindi or the blinding white skin?

My first stop was to my favourite restaurant. Tucked back where few tourists reach I have found a haven of healthy food, hippy vibes and comfortable seating.

Where I sat for some quite time- reflecting on the crazy weird life I am currently leading and enjoying some GOOD cheap food!

IMG00117-20120603-1306

The results of a leisurely Sunday stroll. Just wanted to share a little bit of it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment