Saturday, December 3, 2011

Today was the day…

The day we had been waiting for…

The reason we were flown all the way out here…

Today was the International Service Summit at the Hong Kong International School.

Check out the view at this school…

IMG_4514

IMG_4516

IMG_4518

IMG_4513

(Middle School students who came out this morning for a leadership workshop- such a fun group of kids)

Over the past couple days we have been conducting informal workshops within the school’s Upper Primary, Middle and High School but the real purpose of our trip was for me to conduct the keynote address at the 2011 International Service Summit and for my work partner Jill and I to conduct a number of short sessions on what Me to We and Free the Children have to offer youth people who are passionate about making a change in their local and global communities. There were 21 student groups and organizations (Me to We being one of them) representing themselves and the 150+ students in attendance had the opportunity to pick 5 or 6 and find an organization whom they wished to partner with for their Personal Action Projects.

And I’ll be honest with you- I was super nervous when I woke up this morning. To amp myself up a bit I grabbed the paper copy of my speech and headed to the Star Bucks a couple blocks away for a taste of home and comfort where I re-read what I had written weeks before We Day season.

And as I mounted the stage this afternoon- the nerves didn’t dissipate. Which is odd, over the last year and a half I have delivered over 80 speeches- but for some reason this was different. The first 30 seconds of my speech was a flop but as soon as I settled in- everything ran smoothly. I got a great response which later translated into 6 sessions jammed packed with students who are eager to get involved!IMG_4531

IMG_4535

(The group after the Service Summit- inspired and motivated!)

IMG_4537

( A couple of superstar youth who brought the Vow of Silence to HKIS)

It was such a successful day and such  an amazing opportunity. I try not to take for granted the incredible opportunities presented to me through this current position and I think this particular trip will remain a memory and point of personal success for some time.

IMG_4545

(Jill and I with Marty Schmidt- the man responsible for the Service Summit and our incredible host)

Jill and I are both thankful for the warm reception we received from HKIS, particularly the educators who we got to work with. A number of them treated us to a traditional Chinese meal tonight. (This was another source of anxiety for me as this spoiled Canadian girl ignorantly feared the potential of “ mystery meat” but the meal turned out to be INCREDIBLE.There was a number of questionable meat options which I steered away from, but I had very tasty veggie options and walked away full and satisfied.)

IMG_4549

(Note the chicken head on the plate to the right-ugh!)

Although our job here is done we have a couple days left in Hong Kong before I head to India and Jill heads off on another adventure. We received some more recommendations on “must do’s” and I will continue to report back.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment