Thursday, February 10, 2011

Absence makes the heart grow fonder….

Eight and a half months ago I boarded a plane with red rimmed eyes and a heavy heart. Empty armed for the first time in 2 months everything in me hurt. Although I knew I would be back, for the first time in years I didn’t have the approaching flexibility of a prolonged summer break. I was entering the real world- restricted vacation days and all..

And boy was I excited when the opportunity presented itself to return to Haiti as a co-leader for a one week Awareness Trip.

And boy did my heart fracture a little when that trip was cancelled.

I sought every opportunity to get back despite the news, God’s Littlest Angels was amazing enough to open up the doors for me again- even if just for a short visit.

And then came reality.

I had to post-pone my return to Haiti. Unfortunately for every door that opened, 3 more slammed in my face. It may be a couple more months, but rest assured (that is as much for me as it is for you readers) I will be back before the year ends.

(Prayers are appreciated as my family approaches a very large hurdle.)

And with all the sulking and pouting that resulted from these closed doors, I heard a smaller door creep open… slowly and surely.

Although I couldn't get back to Haiti, I will be going to the Dominican Republic on a short trip in March- helping lead a fairly large group of young and old alike with a man with a giant heart for the people of the DR.

I am looking forward to an opportunity to lead, I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to learn more about Haiti’s neighbours and the intricate culture that lies behind a border I have never crossed.

Taking a leap of faith.

Join me?

“To live is the rarest thing in the world, most people exist, that's all”

 

A friend shared this incredible song with me. Take a listen:

No comments:

Post a Comment