Saturday, December 18, 2010

Haiti lost a good man this week….

Rayjon’s in country director Dieudonne wrote to inform us that Haiti has lost a good man this week.

Just writing to inform you that this morning our dear Charles Henry Pierre, our driver, carpenter, teacher, electrician, construction supervisor, car maintenance man, friend, security guard, everything to the organization, to the work, counselor, DJ, the kids father at the orphanage, soccer coach, boarding school superintendant, everything to us and to all,  the core of the organization, died suddenly. A slight fever on wednesday evening, spent the day at home on thursday, and became worse this Friday  AM, took him to the hospital died  on the way to the hospital, the doctors and nurses all  his friends too, tried to revive him, he did not respond.”- Dieudonne

This is a man who brought me great comfort during my visits to Haiti, not only did he ensure our safety but his warm smile and gentle heart made him a valued friend to so many.

I distinctly remember Charles smirking in the rear-view mirror has he shared his Haiti with fresh eyes.

I remember his cologne- as it was a familiar scent from home- my dad’s scent. This brought me such comfort on my first venture away from home.

I remember his kind smile- he was quiet but that smile spoke volumes.

I remember when he picked me up from GLA, our second meeting. Tears streamed down my face as I said tough goodbyes and anxiously embarked on the second half of my trip. He comforted me as we made the long drive to St. Marc, I learned a lot about him that day.

We didn't speak the same language but somehow we communicated throughout my stay. It will not be the same without him this March.

Please keep our staff, community members and of course Charles’ family in your thoughts and prayers.

Haiti lost a GREAT man this week. You will be missed Charles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment