Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hitting the ground running…

A couple people got an earful of my weepiness as I said my goodbyes in Toronto.

In airports I always look on  at those smoochy couples who don't want to say goodbye or weepy young teenagers leaving home for the first time… and consider myself such a savvy traveller. Strong, independent… you know the deal.

But this time around was a different story. I was “that” girl. Tears started with the goodbye at the doors with the good friends who dropped me off.… they sprung again once through security as I read a lovely note of love and encouragement that had been slipped into my hand… and once again as I called my parents and Gramma to say goodbye. I was a straight up MESS.

5 months is a LONG time. But eventually I pulled it together and was back to being the strong, independent person I remembered being.

After 2 days, 3 flights, countless sketchy airplane meals… I landed in Udaipur and  hit the ground running…

4 hours after I landing I was at the office and I haven't stopped since.

We have been busy prepping for the arrival of a crew from Disney’s ‘Friends for Change’ – who partner with Free the Children supporting our development projects. We will be hosting them for one week, showcasing the progress within our communities as they film a commercial with one of Disney Channels big stars.  This is my first big gig- in preparation I have learnt a TON- mainly what goes into hosting large donors and public figures along with the need to become well versed on our projects and their history. I will be the one speaking to it all on and off camera… YKES! Wish me luck.

In preparation I got a crash course in “Indian wear” … to truly represent our projects and to be more authentic I will be sporting a couple outfits this week. Photos to follow as I am sure you are all interested to see this white blonde decked out!

During the time with Disney I will be staying at a fancy shamcy hotel, but since landing I have started to settle back into my apartment. I still need to pretty it up and do something about the rock hard bed but otherwise no complaints. The view is just breath taking! Honestly when the sun sets over the mountains and the palaces and old Havelli’s light up I have the best view in the city. Ill have to capture it soon and showcase it for you all!

Well I just wanted to drop a quick line before I am tied up for the next week. Wish me luck and I will be sure to write about all the craziness before heading off to Kenya!

Stay tuned, much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment