Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What hits you the hardest......

It’s the blistering heat and damp humidity that hits you first, then the distinct feel of unfamiliarity. Next comes the scents- livestock milling about, body odor naturally- given that humidity, car exhaust. You can’t forget the sounds- the incessant beeping of horns, a foreign tongue, the distinct Indian music. The sights are captivating- the woman covered from head to toe in beautifully bright fabrics, rolling mountains, bright red flowers blooming just in time for our arrival.
And after taking in all of these sights it this the nature of the people, their daily struggles, their determination, their loyalty, hope for a better, but humble future.
This is what hits you the hardest.
India is a captivating country and I have only seen one tenth of its complexity. What I have seen has challenged me, infuriated me, empowered me, inspired me and motivated me.

It has challenged me to understand, to help my participants understand. Different isn’t necessarily wrong.
It has infuriated me as I begin to question the social issues- the child who works to help provide for his family- cheap, exploited labour. For every working child in India there is an unemployed adult. Disease that is 100% preventable with access to health care and clean water. Poverty that never gets easier to witness. Gender inequality- female children discarded in the streets by families who dread the future dowry and lack of potential earnings, sexual exploitation, early marriage and lack of opportunity, the daily burden of the household- while her husband drinks away their meager earnings. Social disparity- an outlawed yet not discarded caste system that seems few sleeping in palaces and many sleeping amoungst the livestock in dung covered walls.

Empowered me to understand the power I have as a facilitator of a group of passionate, intelligent young people. Empowered to appreciate, think critically and act dutifully.

Inspired. I stand amoung the local women- aged beyond their years- early marriage, early childbearing, daily chores and household duties- as they stare back at me likely wondering- Where are her children? How is her husband fending while she crosses oceans? Had I been born here in this rural community of Berna, to a class of people below the lowest in the caste system I would be long married to a man of my parents choice, likely had 1 or more children, spending my days feeding the animals, fetching water and praying for a better life for my family. I am inspired to take advantage of my many opportunities.

Lastly I am motivated to motivate. My job here in India was to ensure that my group of 18 young participants left motivated, inspired, challenged, and infuriated- to make a change. I have less than 9 days to make this happen.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment